View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 04:22 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Initial layout - Alexander cage

It looks amazing. Great wheel and stand and great rodipet house. The logo - I sawed mine off with a small saw and just sanded the edges smooth. Didn't take long. The other house under the shelf. That little window is dangerous for a Syrian. One member's hamster got stuck in it. But easy enough to block off that window by glueing a piece of wood or a couple of dowels over it.

Agree with adding more substrate. With my rodipet house I've had it two ways. One way was to sit the back end actually on the edge of the cage base and the front half had legs stuck on to support it. So it sat on the substrate but was sturdy and couldn't subside if tunnelled under. Higher up it made an extra platform too. The other way was to have the house sitting on just a half inch of substrate (so it can't be tunnelled under) and have the substrate piled up around the outside so it's abit like a subterranean house. And then just channel out a bit of substrate near the door so they can find it. I also then put extra substrate inside the house so it was a bit deeper for nesting in.

Those wheel stands are great - a hidey place underneath. Looking forward to seeing it when finally set up
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote