View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM  
RoboPoppy
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Allergic to my roborovski Poppy?..

Hey everyone,

I was reading all information I could find, but I am running out of tricks to try. I hope someone can help me, because I am having major allergic problems.

I got by robo hamster Poppy 2 weeks ago. I placed her in with hemp de-dusted bedding. For the first week everything was great. I had no problems whatsoever. Then all of the sudden one evening I started coughing non-stop (no watery eyes or sneezing). That continue for two days and I was 100 percent sure it's allergic, because otherwise I felt great. Then I got actually sick and could barely move, went to doctor, told me I have bronchitis and it's unlikely, that it's allergic, since I lack other symptoms. At this time I already started to tame Poppy few days ago. I think this was first days she climbed on my hand already and also nibbled me once, but very gently, because my hand smelled like food. Then flu symptoms went away and I was again only feeling allergic cough without fever.

Now few days ago I started to feel my nose is full, started sneezing, my cough got worse, I have difficulties breathing (i'm not trying to be dramatic, but sometimes coughs were so bad I was having trouble catching air). Since hammy is the only new thing here I decided to change her bedding to carefress ultra, in speculation I might be allergic to her bedding. That didn't help, since I'm waking up with massive headaches and full nose. I got an air purifier now, but also no great results, still coughing like hell.

I am renting one room apartment and cannot take her out anywhere. I had all sorts of animals as a kid - dogs, cats, also a syrian hamster, birds - no problem. Last year I had first time in my life breathing allergies in spring (not warm yet now in Berlin though and pollen count outside is very low at the moment). I also was babysitting my friends dog for 4 days and got a reaction to him, since he was shedding. I never was allergic to animals in my life, but since few years my immune system is just very cazy.

I left air purifier on at home and slept at my boyfriends place 2 nights - nose is much better, but still have cough. Now back at home and cough again very annoying and nose is blocking.

All that said - does anyone have experiences like this? One thing for sure - I love my Poppy so much, I was already crying yesterday just helpless, because I can't think of giving her away. I made a lot of research and having allergy to bedding is not likely, since I had no problem putting it in the cage. Allergy to Poppy's dander could have taken a week to trigger my cough? And it was so sudden and intense when it started.. So I am thinking, could it be the first time I got nibbled. I honestly want to think anything else but not allergy to her..

And if I am allergic - it's severe, because my throat is getting smaller and smaller each day. I don't think I can ignore it.. If I have to give her away would die, I also feel so bad about stressing her, she just settled in.. How would I know she would be taken care of..

Any advise or speculations are welcome
RoboPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote