View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 04:39 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Savic Plaza or Barney possibly....

I would go for the Savic Plaza especially as you already have extra shelves. It would be my first choice and I already have a Barney cage. The Barney is about 4cm deeper in terms of floor space but the Plaza is still a great size at 100cm by 50cm. It is taller by about 3 or 4cm, hence the extra shelves would be good and you'd also need to fill the base with substrate to effectively reduce the height and cushion any falls. To stop it falling out round the edges you could justhave the substrate deeper in the middle than the edges (a sort of mound).

I believe someone who has the Plaza says the height is actually 48cm internally rather than the 50cm quoted so it's not too bad.

I think the Savic shelves would fit fine - they just screw between the bars don't they? Like lots of non standard shelves.

A large front opening door is a great thing to have, not just for taming and access to things in the cage, but it means the roof is completely free to attach things to wherever you want and I have things attached to the roof such as hanging rat sputniks and a large rat tunnel which leads from a shelf to a sputnik so it gives the opportunity for a whole extra level/run. Much easier with no door on the roof.

The height isn't really an issue as long as any hard or sharp point toys are either under a shelf or on a shelf so they can only land on something soft if they happen to monkey bar across the roof and drop

I think there are some other advantages to the Plaza as well - Savic bases tend to be much better made/more solid than the Skyline ones. The bars tend to be stronger too - although I haven't actually seen this particular cage. The Plaza can also fold down flat for storage if necessary or if you ever wanted to take it away with you.

I would get the Plaza. Not sure where you've seen it but Pets at Home has it at the more reasonable price I think.

The Skyline Tilo is actually the same as the Barney but different contents and a different colour.

Not sure which part of the country you're in but I'm looking for an 80cm by 50cm Savic base to replace a broken one, so could buy the Ruffy from you - but we're in the North East so it might not be viable!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote