View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 AM  
Juls
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Setting up my first hamster cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
The aspen snake bedding should be ok I think, the coconut fibre isn't good for cages as it holds too much moisture & can encourage moulds, it may be dusty too, moss is fine, I always put it in the freezer for a week just in case there are any tiny bugs or bug eggs in there!
The house you bought looks far too small as much as I can tell from the photo, sometimes the holes in those wooden logs can be a bit small even for dwarfs, it's hard to tell from a photo but do check they're big enough.
The children's sand should be fine, it is always damp so you need to bake it in the oven, not sure about temperature or time though.
I don't rate Beapher or versa laga foods very high, you would do better with the Bunny dwarf hamster dream expert (I think I mentioned that in your other post), it's better quality & has specific ingredients listed so you know just what's in it.
You really don't need paper nesting material, the best thing for nests (& the favourite with hams) is just plain shredded white toilet tissue.
The cork wheel is great, can you get plastikote water based enamel where you are? That's what we use in the UK to paint wooden wheels etc to protect them from pee.

ETA for a house I would aim for something around 15cm a bit bigger is ok, no windows, it needs to be dark in there. If you can't find anything suitable then just use a cardboard box with no base & a small door cut out of one side.
Thank you for your reply
I don't know if it's any difference, but it says "coco husk" on the package i've bought. I don't know if it's the same as coconut fiber? It looks like chunky bits, like in the picture.

I thought i could use it like pathways or something like that, but if it's not good then of course i won't use it

I also took some new photos of the house and the logs with my hand as size comparison, so see if it's too small.

I think the logs are big enough, but i'll get her a new house with no window if i can find one

About the food, i ordered the bunny dwarf hamster dream expert when you tipped med about it, but i don't think it will get here until next week, so the food i got is just temporary until i get the other one. Unfortunatly the pet shops i've been to so far have had very limited options for most things when it comes to hamster care :/

I'm still not sure about the sand though. It's not dusty at all, but when i put my fingers in it they got stained with a brown colour, and it smells very muddy/dirty. I want to buy the tiny friends sand that you recommended, but i haven't been able to find a shop that ships to my location yet. And so far i've only found two types of sand for hamsters/chinchilla in the shops, and i know one of them is very dusty. Other than that all i've found is fish sand and sand for reptiles, and i read somewhere that it's not safe. So i'm not sure what i'll do about the sand yet.
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote