View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Setting up my first hamster cage

The aspen snake bedding should be ok I think, the coconut fibre isn't good for cages as it holds too much moisture & can encourage moulds, it may be dusty too, moss is fine, I always put it in the freezer for a week just in case there are any tiny bugs or bug eggs in there!
The house you bought looks far too small as much as I can tell from the photo, sometimes the holes in those wooden logs can be a bit small even for dwarfs, it's hard to tell from a photo but do check they're big enough.
The children's sand should be fine, it is always damp so you need to bake it in the oven, not sure about temperature or time though.
I don't rate Beapher or versa laga foods very high, you would do better with the Bunny dwarf hamster dream expert (I think I mentioned that in your other post), it's better quality & has specific ingredients listed so you know just what's in it.
You really don't need paper nesting material, the best thing for nests (& the favourite with hams) is just plain shredded white toilet tissue.
The cork wheel is great, can you get plastikote water based enamel where you are? That's what we use in the UK to paint wooden wheels etc to protect them from pee.

ETA for a house I would aim for something around 15cm a bit bigger is ok, no windows, it needs to be dark in there. If you can't find anything suitable then just use a cardboard box with no base & a small door cut out of one side.

Another edit, I keep forgetting things!
I noticed you have a can of worms, those are fine but after opening need to be kept in the fridge & go off after a few days so you will waste a fair bit, no ham can eat all that in a few days, if you have a look where they sell food for wild birds you should find bags of dried mealworms which are fine for hams & store well in an airtight container.
I've only ever come across one other member mentioning kiwi sticks, not sure if they're a new thing or not but I really don't know if they're safe or not.
The other treats look as though they should be ok but can't say for sure without reading the ingredient list.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 03-22-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Brain like a sieve!
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote