View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 03:00 PM  
Emilydotbug
Newborn Pup

Question Advice on caring for a male syrian found abandoned (first time ham owner)

Hi my name is Emily I am a first time owner of an orange and white male Syrian. I found Lucky in a makeup bag I picked up that had been left near the entrance of a subway in Seattle. I guess anything is possible but I've been sticking with the assumption that someone abandoned him. I don't see how someone could do that to such a cute little guy!

Anyways! After I found him I went and got him a container more suitable to carry him home in at least. It was far from ideal and very small but since then he has had 2 different habitats so far. After doing some research I found out that in the beginning hamsters do not like to me handled very much. However because of the scenario I was in when I found him I was forced to handle him. Now he is getting used to his new home and I sometimes handle him. He seems uncomfortable with me about 40% of the time. There's a lot more I'll have to explain in a future thread but does he not like me? Should I stop handling him and let him adjust a bit more even though I messed up already? Also sometimes he VERY gently nibbles my finger when I try to offer treats in my palm to pick him up. Is he biting me or just trying to get the food? He seems to know how to grab the seeds with precision usually but is nervous with my hand.
Emilydotbug is offline   Reply With Quote