View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 AM  
Pete145rugby
Newborn Pup

Default Dwarf Hamster Questions

Hi everyone,

We have a beautiful, sable roan Syrian hamster. Our second hamster (bought him in December after our son's previous Syrian sadly died). He's nicely tamed and is a happy healthy little guy, just the cutest thing.

When we bought our first hamster three years ago, we made the mistake of buying the largest hamster home from the pet store, which happened to be an Habitrail Ovo Loft. Within a few weeks we realised it was way too small for a Syrian, did our research and traded up to the Hamster Heaven, which both of our Syrians seem to have been very happy in (although they both preferred very different set-ups).

We still have the Habitrail Ovo Loft, we use to pop our little guy into for half an hour or so when we clean his HH. Rather than throw it away (or sell it to someone else who owns a Syrian), we're wondering if it's suitable for Dwarf hamsters.

If it is, we're pretty much set up and ready to add to our hamster family!

We've done a lot of research over the years regarding Syrians and, after making a few early mistakes, I think we'd say that we're good, responsible, knowledgeable owners. However, we're less knowledgeable about other breeds, so I have a few questions:

1 - Which breed is more friendly/easier to tame and handle between the Robo, Winter White, Campbell or Chinese?

2 - Do they have to live in pairs? I know they can, but will they live happily on their own?

3 - Is the Ovo Loft even big enough for a Dwarf breed?

4 - Any other advice on the differences between owning Dwarfs and Syrians?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Pete
Pete145rugby is offline   Reply With Quote