View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 01:45 PM  
Swirlyvibes
Newborn Pup

Question Need help with taming

Hi guys!
Genji is my first ever hamster. He is a Syrian with beautiful dark fur. I did my fair share of research before getting genji and i am aware that every hamster is different and have different taming periods.
We have had him for about a week and a half now and he hasn't really displayed any behaviour that I have read about in my research! He was very confident in exploring his cage and toys since day 1, he destroyed his waterbottle on day 2 and was responding to my voice and getting in to a routine by day 3. He will wake up when I come home from work, come say hello, have some food and go back to bed till about 8/9 pm. He loves his wheel and will spend ridiculous amounts of time on it!
Now he seems quite confident and settled in his cage and not too bothered by me being around. I've been feeding him treats through my fingers for about 5 days now and it seems like he can't make up his mind if he is scared of me or not. Either that or he is fussy with his treats Haha! He will take usually the first treat I offer him, sometimes the second but will then avoid my hand like the plague and seems scared by it's presents. Is this normal? Will it just take him time to get used to me and realise I'm not a threat?
I also was wondering what other taming techniques I can use and how long it has taken you guys to tame your hamsters? Also how often should I be practicing taming techniques and for how long? I have been usually been doing 3 sessions about 5 mins long in the evening and if he is up when I wake up I will offer him a treat.
Swirlyvibes is offline   Reply With Quote