View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 AM  
Razor
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Should i get the detolf?

Hi!
I have a Detolf for my dwarf. Personally, I like the cage. My girl seems to love it too. She spends a lot of time exploring the cage and running all over the place. But being a dwarf, I haven't had the need for a lid since even with 15cm of substrate, she cannot climb out.But it is recommended to have one for Syrians. You can refer this video for the lid.
I haven't had any safety related issues with the cage. She hasn't chewed on the bars per se, even if she does, it's usually when she wants to be picked up. I'm working on training her to not do that. Using paper straws around the bars in an option too. I have heard a few people complain that their hamster got stuck between the bars, but that's not an issue really, since it's unlikely a hamster would squeeze through a space it knows is too narrow. But as a precaution, I would place the bars the other way around (inverted as compared to the IKEA instructions). This does not compromise the structural integrity in any way, but just reduces the gap from 1.5cm to about 0.5cm, which would be too narrow for a hamster to even attempt to squeeze through.
I have written a review on the detolf. You can read more about it here.

And finally, here are a few pictures, (more in the link above.)

20180312_112718.jpg

You can see a 30cm (12") ruler placed besides the cage here. The wheel is a 6.5" saucer.
20180312_112759.jpg

This is approximately how big my hamster is in the cage.
ezgif.com-resize (2).gif

20180309_214328.jpg
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote