View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: new to dwarf hamsters , help

I agree that if you're completely new to dwarf hamsters then it's far better to begin with just one, once you have some experience of your chosen species then you might want to consider keeping a pair or group in the future but it is challenging & all species are very happy to live alone, being kept in pairs of groups isn't natural for them & doesn't really offer them any benefits over living alone, it can be very stressful for them if they fall out & many pairs or groups do as they begin to mature which means you always have to be . prepared with a cage for each hamster as this can happen quickly.
Only Russians & Robos can be kept together, Chinese hams are solitary.
I would do some research into each species as they are all different & that way you will have more idea of which is most suitable for you.
Probably the easiest dwarf for a first time owner is a Russian, from a pet shop that would be a Russian hybrid as they don't sell pure Winter White of Campbell's hamsters.
Although small most dwarf hamster still require a good size cage, they tend to be active little hams & most enjoy digging & burrowing, probably more than many Syrians do they also need a sand bath which isn't always essential for syrians, a dwarf specific diet is important too.

ETA I forgot to say that those few who have kept pairs of groups successfully have found that they do better in smaller cages, in a smaller cage they're less likely to become territorial & claim space as their own leading to fights, if you have a single ham you can use a larger a cage which allows an individual ham much more space for enrichment.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 02-24-2018 at 02:01 AM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote