Thread: Multipul cages.
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Multipul cages.

I wouldn't use any kind of wool - too risky (do you mean like kapok?)

The Pets at home large cage is a bit on the small side, but does she seem happy in her set up? Yes generally they mean one floorspace size without counting add on cages. Some dwarf hamsters are apparently happier in a not so large cage.

Personally I think add on cages don't benefit them as much as having one cage with a larger floor space. The more floorspace they have in one cage, the more they can have normal behaviours - digging, moving substrate around etc.

You may find that if you put everything (wheel, house, food water) in the main cage she wouldn't bother going in the others. If the wheel is in a different cage she will have to go through tubes to get to it.

I think if your dwarf hammy is happy and has out of cage time then the large pets at home hamster cage with the add-ons may be ok.

But ideally one larger cage would be better - where she can enjoy having house, wheel,toys, levels etc in one area and still have floorspace.

Definitely don't use fluffy bedding or wool bedding though - natural doesn't mean it's safe for hamsters!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote