View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 AM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: Photo Month Thread - February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtree1234 View Post
Btw, what is Rogue's bucket game?
It's actually Chirag Patel's Bucket Game The aim is that the dog focuses on the bucket. It can be used as a consent/choice signal for husbandry, e.g. the dog looks at the bucket when comfortable being groomed, have nails clipped etc, and when s/he looks away the dog is given a break. We are still working on duration, but I'm using it more as a calming behaviour so working on calmness when shaping.

Sorry for missing yesterday - one of those days! I'd got planned showing you some Chineseys.

This lady is Red Scharron, known as Red. She's a chunky lady who is feisty with other Chinese hamsters but lovely to humans. She's not a fan of going to shows so mostly stays home. She eventually fell for the charms of a boy hamster and had a big pile of daughters - and one son - in the Redlio litter. I'm still thinking about which girl I'm keeping. I've kept them all longer to give me time to decide:

And now for a little time travel....

Red's mother was Liessa Dragonlady. This is Lia as a baby:

Red's grandmother, Lia's mother, is Herenna the Henna-Haired Harridan, known as Ren. She's an old lady now but still pootling around her cage. Ren was one of the Oaper litter, and is a sister of my King Verence and Fluffagrams's Lord James, so Ren is the aunt of my newest addition little Hal.

Ren's father (Red's great-grandfather) was Mightily Oats, known as Oatsy, who was bred by Doric Hams. He achieved 2 Certificates of Merit and some excellent show results and was a lovely hamster.

Oatsy's father was Wee Jock, whom I bred but who belonged to Doric and was one of her special hams. He also got 2 Certificates of Merit.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/hWUBd4]

And right back at the start was Wee Jock's father (great-great-grandfather to Red), my very special Persil: Small But Mighty. He was brought from Holland by a friend for me in 2012/13 and was a lovely smooshy lad. He also did well at shows and was instrumental in re-starting my Chinese hamster breeding after a difficult time with diabetes and having to stop a lot of breeding due to it.

It's been a long time trying to get the Chinese back to where I want them to be, and they're still very much a work in progress - heads could be broader and ears smaller as well as the perennial issue with colour - but I'm really thrilled with how many generations I've managed to get with *touchwood* good health.