View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 11:22 AM  
Lilac_Dreams
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Shortage of Syrian breeders?

A lot of Hamster breeders have had a hard few years, I've been told a lot have lost the majority of their lines in 2015-16. In my 2 Hamsters Pedigree's, only 3 people out of 7 are still breeding.

Sadly we do need more ethical breeders and there definitely is a shortage, especially down here in the South West [I was, up until last year, the only NHC Breeder in the whole of Devon]. I would say though, Campbell's are in much more of a decline, getting your hands on a Pedigree Campbell is horribly impossible unless you're very well known and win a lot [I've been trying for 2 years :P ].

A lot of Syrians appear on the sales tables, Winter Whites as well, seen a few Robos, I've attended 5 Shows since 2015 and only seen 2 Chinese on the Sales tables, never seen a Campbell on the sales table at all.

Also, it is as Willow Tree says, at this time of year Hamsters just won't stand and breed. I've been trying to breed my 6 month old female for the past 2 weeks and she won't stand despite having 12 hours of light, lots of good food... It's just really difficult with Syrians to breed them around winter time.
Lilac_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote