View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 AM  
souffle

Default Re: Did I just unintentionally starve my dwarf hamster to death?

I am sorry that you lost Darkie. It is normal that you feel grief and this is clearly mixed with regret that it is your fault.
I don't think you will ever know what caused Darkie to pass away. Clearly he was not the healthiest hamster when you adopted him and his passing may have been coincidental with the lack of food.
In my opinion he probably did not starve because there was a certain amount of food still available and he would have been able to find this however he may well have been malnourished and lacking in certain nutrients as well as mentally stressed by the fact that he had dwindling food supplies. If he had a condition like diabetes he would have other nutritional needs that the tiny amount of food may not have provided.
You did fail to provide for at least one if not several of his five freedoms during a period of time
FREEDOM FROM HUNGER AND THIRST. by ready access to fresh water and diet to maintain health and vigor.
FREEDOM FROM DISCOMFORT. by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
FREEDOM FROM PAIN, INJURY OR DISEASE. ...
FREEDOM TO EXPRESS NORMAL BEHAVIOR. ...
FREEDOM FROM FEAR AND DISTRESS.
He could not express normal behavior which is to seek and hoard food so this would have caused him some distress and if he was indeed ill had he been checked you may have been able to seek vet attention and successful treatment. Did he have clean water and a clean environment? Water bottles need checked every day as the ball does stick easily and all animals need fresh water too. Health checks are important as they can become ill quickly and also they need the mental stimulation of new things to do and investigate.
At the end of the day what is done is done and we all make mistakes and have regrets in life. This is a very hard way to learn a lesson and you will likely feel the guilt of this for the rest of your life and never make the same mistake mistake again. Nothing anyone says or does will take this away. Just learn from this and carry it forward and don't waste any more emotional energy on it. Grieve for your loss yes and consider carefully having pets at this time in your life when you are under other pressures. It must always be a priority to care for little ones even if it means boarding them or paying someone else to do it.
Remember everyone on this forum is entitled to reply to your questions as you did ask so please check out our rules and graciously accept opinions.
I hope that your heart finds some comfort soon. Run free at the bridge Darkie. x
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote