View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 10:09 AM  
KatK
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster Sending Mixed Signals

I adopted my hamster about 5 days ago and from the beginning, she was eager to come out and explore. A lot of what I read online said to leave a new hamster in the cage to adjust to new surroundings for several days, but this was not the case. It is clear that when I walk by the cage, sit and talk to her or even change food, she is right at the door wanting to come out. So I decided to skip the few days of leaving her be.

Now, when I take her out and let her run around my enclosed room, she will come over to me, climb up my legs and sniff. But as soon as I put my hand down to pet or let her climb, she bites me.

I've been trying bonding with her, showing her treats in my hands, use mild soaps without scents and even rubbing her shavings on my hands to use her scent, but it hasn't worked. She bites mainly during times she's outside of the cage in the evening, will ignore a treat and bite me anyway, but when she's waking up, will allow me to pet her back briefly.

Her cage is plenty big, and I've filled it with chewing blocks, a wheel and she has a ball so I know she's not bored. I don't know her exact age but I believe she's little.

So my question - she's obviously not too afraid to come out/explore/climb on me, so why does she bite my hands when I set them down to further the interaction? Should I leave her alone for a few days or did I already miss that opportunity for proper adjustment?

Please help!
KatK is offline   Reply With Quote