View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 04:24 PM  
Sh4dow85
Newborn Pup

Default All about Miss Amber

I'd like to introduce you all to Miss Amber!

Amber came to me purely by accident/fate. I'd gone to my local pet shop for dog biscuits, and happened to be looking around the small rodent section, when I came across a furry ball needing adoption. The bundle of fluff was originally called Ray, and had been in the wars already. Her previous owners had her in a tank with another ham, and after a fight, Ray was left with a damaged eye. After many vet trips and some unwelcome handling/poking along with some injections, Ray had become afraid of humans, and would bite if any hand came bear her. The owners were going to put her to sleep! The vets persuaded them to relinquish ownership, and looked after her as her eye healed. A girl in the pet shop also worked with her to regain her trust again. As she would still bite when nervous though, she was now advertised as unsuitable for children.
My two roborovski's had recently passed away, so I had an empty cage sat at home, plus I have no children. It seemed that Ray would fit right in with me!

So now, renamed Amber, she has a nice big cage (and a bigger ikea hack cage in the planning!), and is learning to trust me with some regular training and lots of patience. She'll now happily sit on my bare hands to eat treats, and is slowly coming round to a gentle stroke down her back - huge steps from where she first was! She's a gorgeous little curious thing, and loves to clamber about, and apart from the odd nibble to see if I'm food, she's not tried to bite me once. Her eye will never recover fully, and it's not known if she actually has any sight at all, but it doesn't seem to stop her in the slightest! I'm just so glad I'm in the position to help her and give her the home she needs to have a long and happy life.

Once the ikea cage is planned out properly and started, I'll add some pics to show how it's progressing. Looking at going with the kallax 8-shelf build, with 6-slots for cage and two as storage. Can't wait to get started, but just need a couple more pay-days to do a decent job of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20180120_224129_20180120232247546.jpg (223.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20180120_224604.jpg (185.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20180120_224535.jpg (191.3 KB, 15 views)
Sh4dow85 is offline   Reply With Quote