View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:22 PM  
Yiannis
Newborn Pup

Default Re: hamster on the plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissgreys View Post
I have flown with various animals and the airline are correct when they say that the cargo area for animals is temperature and pressure controlled.

But this is one small part of a long process, and the early check in, and then the waiting in the cargo area and then out on the tarmac can take a long time (1 hour plus in many cases for European flights). I personally would be wary about putting a hamster through this, as you can never know what delays, weather conditions, etc you will have on the day you fly.
Plus his cage might be in the hold with other animals (cats and dogs) which could add to the stress.

When we flew with our rabbits and guinea pigs they were allowed in the cabin in approved carriers, as long as they fitted under the seat in front of us.
The airline gave us the dimensions, and checked the carriers when we arrived to check in.
Will the airline not allow you to bring the hamster into the cabin in an appropriate carrier?

Our dogs always flew as 'cargo' but they were fully crate trained beforehand, and more 'robust' than many smaller animals.
No the ariline I talked to wouldnt allow it unfortunately. What airline did you use that let you take the animal in the cabin?
Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote