View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 01:02 AM  
AlbysMum
Banned

Default DIY Linnmon Cage Update

Hello everyone!

I am just coming off night shifts so excuse any errors I may make in this post. I finally have a bit of time to update you all on our cage. We're really happy to say that last month we finally completed it. Our trouble was with the glass table top that would be attached to the front of the cage. IKEA did not stock this product anymore so we needed to improvise.

Eventually we ordered Perspex in the correct size and that has worked out fine. I think this is an even better option for Alby as it is safer for him since it's not glass. BF has been working lots of shifts in the last month so I actually ended up building it myself. I don't think it came out as clean as VanillaHamHam's cage but it still looks beautiful. We took inspiration from her cage also by adding a large wooden wheel and a sand area for Alby. I just have to say, his fur is looking immaculate at the moment and I think it's down to all the lovely rolling he's been doing in the sand baths. Also, we provided him with a little toilet in the corner and he's using it like a pro! So proud of my little dude!

The wheel is actually from zooplus. We have the 28cm version but it is currently sold out, however it is due to be restocked soon. As London rent is eating our money we were trying to find a wheel like the Karlie Wonderland Bogie Wheel and we found this one for a little bit cheaper. It's just as good, Alby runs with no problem on it and it's the most silent wheel I've ever had for a hamster. All you can hear is his little feet pit pattering on it! We also bought a cute little wooden hide out that Alby sleeps in. It's getting a bit colder now so I've just ordered some extra substrate and bedding. We put new substrate/bedding in but also put in bits of his old things too so it wouldn't smell too weird in there. He'd made a huge burrowing nest in his old cage that we put to the right side of the new cage but he doesn't use it anymore. I think he's very happy in there now.

Overall, this project was really easy aside from the glass table issue. It really didn't take long to make and if you're considering it, then I highly recommend making your own cage for your hamster as it was so much fun and it looks really good in our room. Alby has so much more room now to do Hamster stuff. Anyway, here are some pictures of the final project!

I will be decorating the cage today with a couple more things. Just a few DIY snowflakes to stick on the window maybe, or just something to make it a little festive. I hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

Last edited by AlbysMum; 12-10-2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Adding extra detail
AlbysMum is offline   Reply With Quote