View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Please help me sort my feelings out and decide...

It's so hard isn't it. Easier to look at from the outside So what jumps out at me is - you have seen a hamster in a pet shop and fallen for him - so get him. You will have time for both hamsters. I'm sure you'll spend enough time with your old little guy and he won't feel neglected and it might be interesting for him with another hamster in the house and spark some interest.

I think if you wait till your old little guy has passed - you will feel different - it's always upsetting and all sorts of feeelings - and won't want another one straight away - so it would then be a case of getting one before you were ready (ie from the breeder) or having to wait longer until it felt right.

So my gut feeling is - get the one from pet shop - it sounds like you two have got to know each other a bit. And write a careful email to the breeder saying you would like to be removed from the waiting list please as the timing isn't right just now but you would very much like to be considered in the future if that's ok.

It is ok to do that - it's not like leaving it till the last minute. And if the breeder is an ok person she will accept that and appreciate you didn't leave it too late. If she is miffed well I wouldn't want to deal with someone who gets like that. The worst thing for a breeder is someone who just either doesn't turn up to collect at all, or changes their mind at the very last minute.

As for taming - I don't think that is an issue - they all have different personalities and a pet shop hamster could be tame in a week or a couple of months - depends. But it's just a timescale thing really. I would say either get the one from the pet shop now - or get both! ie the one from the pet shop now and the one from the breeder when its available - because then you have had that continuity of hamster owning without a gap when your old little guy passes - and who knows he could live to a ripe old age.

Would you have space for three? If not - then make your apologies to the breeder and get the pet shop hamster. Timing not right is enough explanation.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote