View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 AM  
lonelygoldfish
Hamster Pup

Question Friendly but biting new ham

Hello everyone!

Just over a month ago I adopted my new dwarf hamster Darwin from the adoption centre at Pets at Home. Someone had apparently returned him for biting, and I reckon he's about 6 months old. He is a real little sweetie, active and friendly. He's so attentive and observant too! He'll always see me coming and want to come and say hello. I am very much in love!! <3

But he's quite bitey... Not enough to draw blood so far but decent little hard nibbles/bites whenever I handle him. The last week and a half I've moved on to using one glove on and one glove off trying to tame him, and rubbing my non-gloved hand in his bedding before I handle him. He isn't scared, but he does like to run quite fast when he's out which makes him a little tricky. But he does like to bite. With my other hams if they ever did start to have a bite I'd gently blow on them and they would usually stop, but with Darwin although that my stop him for a second he'll move a few steps and have a nibble somewhere else on my hand. All of the nipping occasionally makes me a little nervous handling him which obviously isn't helping either.

He has recently had ear drops for a problem that made him overgroom around his ears and scratch himself. That seems to have cleared up nicely, but I will take him early next week for a vet checkup.

I'm not sure what to do :/ Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Darwin.jpg (280.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Darwin Eppendwarf.jpg (184.6 KB, 9 views)
lonelygoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote