View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 10:53 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Barney cage for a syrian hamster?

It's a great cage for a Syrian. And sometimes it depends on the personality of the hamster. You can get some very reclusive lazy Syrians and some totally maverick ones where no cage is big enough!

I've had two Syrians in the Barney and I think it's just right - not too big, not too small. I didn't find an 80 x 50 cage big enough for a Syrian because they need quite big stuff to have enough enrichment. The Barney is deeper than most 100cm cages - almost 2" deeper (54cm) and that does make quite a lot of difference to the floor area.

Going bigger can be good too, but you would need a lot of stuff in the cage. A large cage that is half empty is not as good as a smaller one with good enrichment. By enrichment, meaning, plenty of substrate, lots of tunnels, hidey places, textures, levels, and a good sized house for building a big nest.

An alternative to the Barney is the new Savic Hamster Plaza. It has a big advantage in that it has a large front opening door, which is good for taming and interacting with a hamster, and as there is no door on the roof you can use the whole of the roof for a roof run - eg tying rat tunnels to it or sputniks. It is 100cm by 50cm so not quite as much floor area as the barney but it's a good cage. It's also a bit taller than the Barney so needs extra levels - that adds to the cost.

I think the size of the cage isn't the whole picture. Interaction is different with a tank style like the Eco Habitat where you have to come in from the top. But it is a lovely large cage.

Personally I prefer barred cages - the ventilation is better, you can attach a lot of things to the bars.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...r-and-rat-cage

One advantage a tank style has is if you want to have lots of deep substrate. I still get quite a lot in the Barney - it doesn't fall out of the 7mm bars much.

Another option is the Alexander cage - I've never heard of a Syrian who wasn't happy in that (well maybe rarely). It has a whole extra level and comes with a good built in long house.

Do you have a particular kind of set up in mind? That might help decide what to go for as well.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote