Thread: Hamster wheel
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster wheel

If you want a silent wheel then the Silent Runner (runner not "spinner") or the wood trixie wheel are the best options. You probably won't find either in the shops. Both are available online. The 12" silent runner is an excellent wheel for a Syrian. If it will fit in your cage - it's 35cm tall on it's stand. It's not cheap though - about £25. But it is a safe sturdy wheel and the only one I've had that hasn't broken - had mine more than a year and it's still silent.

Zooplus also sell the wood trixie wheel in either 9" or 11". The 9" one would be good for a dwarf hammy - I have a 9" for our dwarf hammy. There aren't really any 6" ones available except for the silent "spinner" which isn't silent and doesn't spin well these days apparently.

The Wood trixie one is cheaper - but it would need painting with plastikote petsafe paint to waterproof it or it'll get peed in and stink. Plus it has a very nice cork running track and that would get stinky too. I plastikoted my wood wheel and cork track and they're fine. The plastikote adds another £4 to a £7.99 wheel but one bottle would do two wheels. Have added the links

Both are silent because they have ball bearing mechanism. They're both good wheels. If you can afford the silent runner for a Syrian though, I reckon it will last a lot longer and they are excellent wheels.

The 9" silent runner is also fine for a dwarf hamster.

Silent Runner 12 Inch

Silent Runner 9 Inch

Trixie wood wheel - 28cm for Syrian, 21cm for dwarf

Trixie Wooden Exercise Wheel | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

Plastikote - you just paint it on with a small paint brush - doesn't smell of anything. I do a second coat the following day. Paint the cork bit as well. It also helps seal it so there are no splinters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A local hardware store or B&Q will probably sell the plastikote. Just make sure it's the water based one and not the spray one. Comes in all different colours or clear.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote