View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 PM  
tinewashere
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Made the best hamster deal of my life two days ago!

Thanks so much for your kind messages everyone, I feel so welcome on this forum I do plan on getting an extra house, some toys and a 12" wheel before I get my hammie, I want there to be lots of things to explore! I also plan on setting up a play pen because the cage only reaches the minimum requirements and I'm sure the little fella won't mind some extra room to play in occasionally Thanks for all the recommendations, I really appreciate it.

I do have some questions though:

Quote:
Hamsters tend to block themselves inside the tube, they're an escape route and cause cleaning issues
The woman I got the cage from had taken the tubes off and used the small end capsules because she said it got filled with bedding and stuff but I put them back on because I wanted to see if my future hamster did the same but I didn't know it could be an escape route Do they chew the green parts off or how do they escape, just so I know for sure what to look out for?

Quote:
An alternative substrate for this particular situation would be hemp. Hemp is not the ideal substrate but it is less likely to cause allergic reactions than wood substrate,and while it probably isn't as good for burrowing as something like Fitch it can be an economical choice and would be much preferred over any wood substrate
My local pet stores sells both Chipsi Hemp substrate (CHIPSI - Chipsi Clean) and aspen wood shavings, they're about the same price and cheaper than Carefresh and Boxo so it's probably going to be either of those ones I purchase in the future. Which would be the best to get? And which would be the best in terms of burrowing?
tinewashere is offline   Reply With Quote