Thread: Hamster Food?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hamster Food?

Their hay might be decent quality,but the dried fruit tends to have unsafe or at least very unhealthy additives.Hay isn't necessary for hamsters though.I personally wouldn't even bother with their hay though,as there are other higher quality brands

If you were willing to put in more work,money,and go through the labor of formulation there is one potential alternative I could think of.It wouldn't be a completely pelleted diet,however if you could source a completely hamster safe high quality dog food that isn't too high protein that could be the base of a mix along with carefully mixing grains and other foods to further lower the protein and add the variety that is crucial for a healthy and appropriate diet.

While the diet mentioned above would be quite difficult and intimidating,it would let you have a safer diet.There are two decent premade diets on the market for hamsters in the US,both by the same brand and neither are pelleted.However,despite being made in the US with apparently safe ingredients the sources of ingredients aren't completely known and that is where more problems come in.Because of that,certain ingredients(including vitamins and minerals)could be sourced from China which is incredibly risky at best

One example of a good brand for the dry dog food base would be Halo.While their dry dog foods aren't a very good choice for dogs,some could work fairly well for hamsters or rats if mixed properly.Foods shouldn't include artificial dyes,artificial flavors,harmful preservatives(BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin),propylene glycol,sulfur dioxide,unspecified biproducts(digest,derivatives,biproduct meals,meat and bone meals,etc),dextrose(or sorbitol,maltodextrin,sucrose,etc),or any other unsafe ingredients.

I would aim for a total protein for the main diet around 16-18%.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote