View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 PM  
ImoH
Newborn Pup

Default Very nervous hamster....advice please

A few weeks ago we got our new Syrian hamster Basil from the pets at home adoption section. It was quite a spontaneous decision, our beloved hamster Shirley had recently had to be put to sleep, we were in pets at home getting litter from our bunnies and there Basil was. He was described as ‘bitey’ so obviously I couldn’t possibly leave him there!

He is not aggressive in the slightest, just absolutely terrified. We have tried very slow taming by hand feeding him. He does take food out our hands but runs and hides if there is any movement. He is in a fairly large cafe, a ferplast maxi duna multy and I am starting to think this is part of the problem. It’s top opening and massive. I’ve hidden treats around the cage and they’ve gone untouched. He is drinking from his water bowl which is something. But we never ever see him out and about.

I think the space could be making his nervousness worse? Can anyone recommend a front opening smaller cage for him? Maybe something with levels so the space doesn’t quite feel so ‘open’.

Or any other suggestions about how we can reassure him. He just seems permenantly scared!

Last edited by Fluffagrams; 11-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.
ImoH is offline   Reply With Quote