View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 04:33 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cage height requirements and wood

I sometimes think the hardest bit is working out which wheel, how it will attach or be stable and whether it will fit The Silent Runner is a very good 12" wheel - totally silent and safe and stable. It's 35cm tall so you'd need a bit of clearance from 35cm and then any wheel would fit. If you're having deep substrate though, a wheel can't stand on top of it really in case it is tuneled under and falls over onto the hamster. Plus it isn't very stable like that. In that case you would either need it supported underneath (eg standing on a platform that sits under the substrate), or have it attached to the side somehow, or have an area of lower substrate in the cage that is "fenced off" (bendy bridges on their side make a good fence) so the wheel can stand on the base. The Silent Runner does have a cage attachment you can buy separately - I have this to attach it to the bars - I'm not sure if it would work through the thickness of wood (ie a hole drilled to put the bolt through) but it's possible. A wodent wheel works well hung upside down from cage bars on the roof although I don't think mesh would be strong enough for this. I have gone with the wheel standing on a platform in my other cage. And if you're good at diy you can easily make a platform the right height so it just clears the substrate, for the wheel to stand on. Also this can make a hide under the wheel
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote