View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 AM  
velma

Default Re: The most timid and tiny bean

Aw, happy ending for a wee little ham. So here's what I know:

I found with my rescue robo Hector that he preferred a smaller space. He lived in a mini duna. I tried to upgrade him to a duna multy but he didn't take to it. That's not to say Chunk won't though. It can take about 2-3 weeks for them to settle after such a big upheaval.

I think they do like lots of cover though, that makes a big difference. Loo rolls are great for that & the joy is that as robos are so wee all those other cute hidey houses that are too small for a lot of other hams are good for Robos too

It can be hard with robos to tell if they're eating or drinking because they're so small the water bottle level doesn't move much and the bowl doesn't go down too much. When Hec was settling in, I'd put some of his favourite bits (like sunflower seeds) dotted around so I could see he'd been out and taken them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel. As you say, a soft landing is a good idea but it doesn't take long for them to figure out how to drive! Hector had a bit of mad patch with each new wheel but quickly got to grips with them and could control them fine.

Some robos like being handled, some will walk over your hands or be stroked & others don't like any of that but will get used to your hand in the cage. They're not a sitting still sort of a ham though so if you do try any hand taking, when he's ready, do it with your hand low in the tank or in a taming plastic tub. But I love a robo, or furry goldfish as I like to call them. Hours of entertainment! You'll get along just fine.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote