View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 09:49 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Completely Homemade Hamster Mix?

There area few of us here who make our own mixes from scratch rather than combining or adding to commercial mixes, it does take a fair bit of research & then a lot of calculations to get a balanced diet but it's certainly doable & well worth it if you have the time to do all the work.
There are a couple of threads here you might find helpful.

Has anyone ever made their own hamster food?

Larry-Jasper's homemade diet

I've found it works well, although I've made adjustments over time to improve on my original mix & it takes a bit of experimenting to find what they like or don't like but the hams have loved it, they have so much more variety & done well on it.
I like the flexibility it allows me having four hams with different needs, I keep protein in my mix fairly low at around 15% which allows me to add in extra depending on need, handy with a wide age range & one with kidney problems.
Sometimes they get a bit bored with certain things & if you're making your own mix it's easier to make changes now & then if need be.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 09-30-2017 at 10:09 PM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote