View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: She chews everything...

I'm sure things will settle xxx Firstly she could probably sense your feelings if you weren't ready for another hamster. So it has slowed up a bond forming between you. Secondly they can go absolutely frantic if a wheel is removed. Best to leave it in I would say and just let her do what she wants with it lol. Which will be easier now her cage is in another room. Moving her cage to another room could also cause a stress reaction and a bit of a setback as it's a change of environment, although it sounds like it won't be much of a set back as she bites and screeches!

I would give her a few days completely left alone after moving the cage. You could add something new but I wouldn't move anything in the cage otherwise, or do any cleaning.

Maybe go back to just talking to her through the bars, in a gentle voice about anything you like! Playing some soft music can relax them as well.

She sounds like a real character. I would leave her alone mostly for some time, and just spot clean once a week if it's needed and don't do any big cage cleans for some time. Just make sure she has plenty of substrate and maybe add a litter tray in her pee place, if she doesn't have one/use one already. Then you just need to empty the litter tray about every 5 days.

When she seems a bit more settled you could maybe start again with taming. Using the bathtub with some toys in can be good as she can't escape. Don't try to handle her - you can transport her there in a hamster ball then let her out of the ball into the bathtub. You can use a toothbrush to gently give her the occasional stroke on the back while she's running around in the bathtub. Wear gloves as well. If she turns to bite the toothbrush, then leave it for a bit and try again later. Eventually she may stop turning to bite the toothbrush and get used to it. That would be a big turning point, as it would mean she is not scared of being touched. You could then move onto using one finger to stroke her on the back while in the bathtub (wearing gloves again). If she accepts it just one little stroke then leave her alone. Then maybe two little strokes the next time. If she gets used to that you could move onto gently cupping a hand under her and lifting her a fraction but not holding, just let her walk off (still wearing gloves!). If she accepts that you could do that occasionally, lifting her a little bit more each time but letting her walk off. Then move onto trying to lift her and hold her in both hands (still in the bathtub and still wearing gloves) and see if she accepts being held for a stroke for a bit.

She needs to learn to trust you. If you can get her hand tame and build some trust, then you two could end up with a nice bond. But if she is never handleable, that's ok too - you can still end up with a good talking bond!

As for the chewing - that's ok. She's a chewy hamster - give her lots of cardboard to destroy - egg boxes, tissue boxes and as the other say, toilet rolls (slit them down one side as she's big, so she doesn't get stuck). I would avoid giving her edible houses and toys and alfalfa stuff - just a chew stick and her regular hamster mix and a bit of fresh veg each day.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote