View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 AM  
Carolyn9
Newborn Pup

Talking Re: Wettail - HELP! - how long before he gets better

Great. You know I remember hearing about pureed pumpkin when my dog was a puppy. I'll head out to the store today to get some. I also read that whole fat, not flavored yogurt could be good for him- thoughts? I hate to give him the wrong thing again and make it worse.

The super GOOD news is that he's running around, curious, ears are up, coat is clean and although he has diarrhea he looks otherwise healthy. So I am hoping the wet tail is behind him and this is just diarrhea resulting from the strong antibiotics he's on (and the mis-step of this new hamster owner in feeding him hay )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
I honestly wouldn't recommend Harry/Hazel anymore.It does have artificial dyes(not clearly listed but have been confirmed unfortunately),making it better to avoid in my opinion.Higgins Sunburst can be combined with Carefresh,flax seed,and a bit of freeze dried chicken though to make a good diet(two thirds Carefresh,one third Higgins,a few pieces of freeze dried chicken,and a pinch of flax seed,the chicken and flax is for skin and coat benefits as well as protein boosting since it would be too low otherwise).I forgot to mention but a tip on Higgins is buy it from Petsupermarket if you can!It's usually cheaper there than other pet stores

I think coconut would be a good idea as mentioned,but pureed pumpkin(plain,only water as the other ingredient!)is excellent for both constipated animals and animals with unstable bowel movements(such as diarrhea).I didn't even mention that before,but it's definitely something I'd do no matter what else is being given.It's more widely known in the dog community,but is safe for hamsters and would work the same You could probably try pureed sweet potato(again water only and nothing else)if the pumpkin isn't popular with your hamster,so that would be another good option.
Carolyn9 is offline   Reply With Quote