View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 AM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: The ethicality of scientific research with hamsters as subjects

I know that you are a lovely kind and caring owner who wants to improve living standards for all hamsters and I think that aim is admirable. However, I really don't think this would be ethical. At least, I couldn't do it. And I think you would have trouble doing it too. It's one thing to talk about implementing an experiment like this, but to be able to distance your emotions from it for a number of weeks, let alone years, might be impossible.

Perhaps you could alter the experiment. Put each hamster in a dufferent dazed cage, but don't give any a tiny cage. We already know that the smallest cage a hamster should be kept in is 80cm X 50cm, so experimenting with anything smaller than this would be a waste of time as well as stressful to the hamster involved.

Accordingly, you could use a 80cm X 50cm cage as the smallest cage and give the other hamsters larger cages of varying sizes. This way, your experiment could investigate whether the current cage Suze we consider to be a minimum is, in fact, enough.

For consistency, give all the hamsters toys but make sure that they are the same toys. Give them equal amounts of time out and about for the same reason (and don't deprive any of them of this).