View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 01:24 AM  
Jen250
Senior Hamster

Default Could use some optimism for sick hamster

Hello! It's been a long time since I've posted here as I was trying to cut down on my internet forum use. My sweet hamster, Hubble, is now 2 and a half years old, and he is, unfortunately, not doing very well at the moment.

Somehow, he's come down with wet tail. My partner and I went out of town for a week for our wedding, and someone else was looking after him in this time. Perhaps the stress of that brought it on, as I can't imagine what else it might be. The symptoms showed up about 5 days after our return on Saturday night. Immediately, we rushed him to the emergency vet, who diagnosed the wet tail and sent us away with some antibiotics to give him once per day and an electrolyte hydrating formula to give him every few hours through a syringe.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any improvement. He isn't eating or drinking except what I'm giving him through the syringe. He's very wobbly and lethargic, and he very obviously has no energy to do anything other than sleep. And the diarrhea is quite bad. I'm not feeling very optimistic. Has anyone ever had a hamster recover from wet tail? Is there anything more I can do for him?