View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 04:31 AM  
Kippynugget
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hammy changed personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the vet, I can imagine how you feel but try not to blame yourself, you're doing everything you can to help her & we would all have done the same.
It may take her a while to settle after being badly handled but it sounds as though her behaviour isn't really that different to before so I still think it's possible there may be something wrong.
Is the vet you went to experienced with hamsters? Did you mention to him that she seems to be drinking & peeing quite a lot?
I don't like to second guess any vet but sometimes if they don't have much experience with hamsters it's possible they could miss something.
I'm not sure what to suggest other than keeping her quiet & comfortable for now & maybe considering getting a second opinion from another vet.
Thank you He just seemed really unconcerned. I basically repeated everything that I've told you and mentioned that she wets her bed very quickly and mentioned the other bits that you both have suggested. He said he thinks its because she is getting older (she's only 5 months old) so her personality is changing but it just doesn't make sense. I just can't understand why a very young animal would choose to be completely inactive 24/7.

He said to bring her back if she loses any weight and he'll put her on a week of antibiotics. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive but I'm just not sure I ever want to put her through that again. He dropped her three times (he was a tall man) was very rough when dragging her out of the box. It was like she was possessed she was going so crazy and she weed everywhere. It was so, so horrible I'm terrified I'm going to make her more ill now because she got into such a state and so stressed.

Thank you so much for talking to me about it- I know I'm probably over reacting (the vet certainly seems to think so!) but I promised myself I would never own an animal unless I knew I could give it the best of everything and make it happy. I just feel like I'm failing :/
Kippynugget is offline   Reply With Quote