View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 PM  
Almi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Homemade Hamster Mix

We've finally made our final mix! This mix is especially tailored for dwarf hamsters. My friend and I mixed it together last night. She had fun layering the ingredients and taking pictures. I attached a few images so you can see what it looks like. The first picture shows the first layer of ingredients. The second picture is the second layer of ingredients, minus the wild forage, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and walnuts. The third is the mixed result, minus the wild forage. The fourth picture is what it looks like with the dried forage added, and the last picture is of the old mix for comparison.

Here are the ingredients. I combined two similar seed mixes, which put them up in the ingredients list, and it'll be one reason why this list won't exactly match up with the layers in the pictures. But it's close!

- Oats
- Barley
- Seed Mix:
White Millet
Canary Grass Seed
Thistle Seed
Red Millet
Finch Millet
Sunflower Chips
Flax Seed

- Wheat
- Green Peas
- Brown Rice
- Buckwheat
- Amaranth
- Triticale
- Lentils
- Soybeans
- Quinoa
- Mung Beans
- Fenugreek
- Hemp
- Wild Forage (includes, but is not limited to, flowers, buds, seeds, and berries)
- Caraway
- Mealworms
- Crickets
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Almonds
- Walnuts

Fat: 6%
Protein: 18%

The foraging was fun. Everything in the forage mix has been identified, except the exact names of the grasses, but I do know that they are edible grasses.

Here are items included in the forage mix. Everything is hand-picked, hand-trimmed, and carefully dried. Some things are in larger amounts, and some things are in very small amounts.

- American Linden (berries)
- Broadleaf Plantain (seeds)
- Catnip (flowers)
- Chamomile (flowers)
- Clover (flowers, leaves)
- Dandelion (flowers)
- Dock (seeds)
- Grass seed variety (seeds)
- Horseweed (flowers, leaves)
- Juniper (berries)
- Lilac (berries)
- Nettle-leaved Bellflower (flowers)
- Peppergrass (seeds)
- Pineapple weed (flowers)
- Prickly Lettuce and similar plants (flowers)
- Sage (flowers)
- Shepherd's Purse (seeds)
- Thistle variety (flowers)

The hamsters will also receive an additional (fresh or dried) fodder/hay mix which includes, but is not limited to:

- Grass variety
- Prickly Lettuce and similar plants
- Dandelion and similar plants
- Broadleaf Plantain
- Catnip
- Chickweed
- Creeping Charlie
- Goosefoot
- Pigweed
- Purslane
- Yarrow

I had a lot of fun doing this and I learned a lot! I can't wait to see what the hamsters think when I give them the hay mix this winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamsterfood2.jpg (103.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg hamsterfood3.jpg (229.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg hamsterfood1.jpg (87.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hamsterfood.jpg (101.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg foodz (2).JPG (507.4 KB, 10 views)
Almi is offline   Reply With Quote