View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM  
emma_dora
Newborn Pup

Smile Hello and some questions!

Hello everyone,

I'm Emma and four days ago I picked up my lovely 8 week old Syrian girl, Dora. She is definitely settling in well, exploring and making herself at home! I'm taking it slow with the taming, she isn't scared at all - more "indifferent" towards me at the moment.

I've had two hamsters previously but when I was much younger. I've researched for weeks and have read many threads on this forum!

I'd really love some advice on a few things:

- Cage biting: despite a plethora of chew toys, a big wheel, empty toilet rolls and a good size cage (it's the Grosvenor for ref) Dora keeps chewing her cage and some of the paint is coming off, which is concerning. She is in her exercise ball at the mo and seems to be loving that, so I'm hoping after a bit of time she will stop. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
- Taming wise, I've been putting my hand flat out in the cage and after, as mentioned, her being mostly indifferent and uninterested in me, she has started to clamber over my hands. She takes treats from me fine but not from my palm as she hasn't seemed bothered! Tonight I managed to get her in her ball and let her out onto my lap but rather than climb over my hands, she preceded to climb onto the floor and we had to create a barrier with our legs whilst she crawled around for a bit. What would people suggest? I'm wary of picking her up just yet given she doesn't seem to really want to be near my hands!

Apologies for the long post, would really appreciate any tips

Emma
emma_dora is offline   Reply With Quote