View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM  
Gabixaurus
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Anxious dwarf hammie // PLEASE HELP

I got a Russian dwarf hamster about 5 months ago. I did a lot of research and in the first week, i left him alone. After that, I slowly started taming him (putting a treat on my palm, placing my hand in the cage and waiting patiently) but completely failed, because my hammie kept either nibbling on my fingers, or jumping off my hands as soon as i tried to move them. He was very afraid of his surroundings (which was understandable, thus I left him to adapt on his own) After a while, I gave up, because he always freaked out as soon as I got in contact with him. After 3 months, I noticed he was still afraid of a lot of things. E.g. every time I give him a treat he grabbed it and started rushing to his nest or one of the tubes. Most of the times, he freezes when i get close to the cage. But now, he's not scared of my hands, but still bites them quite aggressively. After a while, I read that putting more toys and giving him more tissue would make him feel safer, but that only made him even more nervous. I usually get scared of him, because I know he will bite me, but I still try to regularly play with him (with his favourite toys- toilet rolls )

He seems to be healthy, i do daily check-ups on him whenever I get a chance to. I really don't know how to help him or calm him down and his anxiety seems to be getting worse every day. What should I do?
Gabixaurus is offline   Reply With Quote