View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM  
xFluffyHamsterx
Hamster Pup

Default Re: I FEEL SO BAD about putting bambi back in her cage!

Hello! Sounds like a very active hamster you have here!! Generally, hamsters that are young have A LOT of energy. How long do you let her out for in her beloved ball? I would just like to suggest that because the ball actually restricts the hamster from exploring and using his senses in the environment that it may be best to purchase a small animal play pen (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...nimal-play-pen) although when they are in this, they can easily escape so you must sit there and watch them. You can add all the toys and a lot of toys that encourage natural behaviour. As your hamster is super adventurous, she'll love this! My hamsters certainly love it. Especially if you have other pets or young children, keep the hamster in a safe place when the pen is in use. This should definitely reduce the stress, even though she loves her ball. You could probably wean her off the ball by mixing it up so a day on a day off.

I noticed that you have a really big cage for her with a lot of toys so thats excellent. Does she also have chew sticks? Something to gnaw on. Have you tried putting lemon on the bars where she bites? This usually puts them off because of the sour taste. Or you could try threading some cardboard between the bars.

This is to prevent bar chewing, however it's best to nip what is making her do it in the bud which i'm sure you're doing your best. She's probably trying to escape because she's so curious and adventurous and I'd love to see how she is when she's out of the cage without a ball. Hopefully this could be a game changer to make her stop the repercussions.

Bar chewing is often associated with boredom and attention seeking behaviour. Rewarding this behaviour with coming out of the cage will show the hamster that if it bites the bars, it will come out for play (theres lots of controversy whether hamsters are wired like other animals regarding training and being aware of what an action gets them) So perhaps putting a chew stick where she usually bar chews. Routine would also be a good one too, so maybe pick a time where she wakes up that is suitable for both of you and then begin the play then.

Hope this somewhat helps and good luck!
xFluffyHamsterx is offline   Reply With Quote