View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 03:58 AM  
Yulia
Newborn Pup

Default Re: re-homed hamster smells horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Somethings not right there if the pee smells that strong even though there doesn't appear to be too much of it , I would still test for diabetes just to be sure, if that shows negative then maybe take her to the vet to check for a UTI.
It makes sense, I'll do it in the next couple of days (need to order the strips). In my experience a diabetic hamster pees soon after they're placed in the carrier, let's see if this one will do it. I also do not want to scare her by taking out of the house/cage in the early days not to make her even more stressed.

Quote:
Being so scared could just be the change to a new home but it could also be a sign that she's unwell.
Indeed, I've adopted hamsters before, but the coped much better and by day 3 they would at least get out of the house as their natural curiosity (and love for seeds and veggie) wins over their fears...
Quote:
I wouldn't clean any more than you really have to, if she is scent marking a lot the more you clean the more she'll do it & the more insecure she'll become.
Tbh I've never had noticeable smells from pee or scent marking so I suspect she does have a problem of some sort.
Neither had I... Even male robos did not smell that strong after a week of no cage cleaning. I'll have to figure out the right balance between the flat smelling of her and her feeling more or less confortable in her own home. It's summertime now so it's easy to keep the rooms aerated, maybe it will improve with time.
Thanks for your advices. I'll keep you and the community updated.
Yulia is offline   Reply With Quote