View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM  
Mommomkris
Newborn Pup

Default Re: A New Hamster Owner

Welcome flint! I am also new to the forum and new to owning a hamster. My son has a winter white dwarf named speedy but I help take care of him too.
Sounds like you a prepared for your new friend. May I suggest using carefresh paper bedding, instead of wood shavings. It is cheaper and softer.get the compact bag. You can fluff it up as you use it. Also make your own toys like a maze, swing, climbing tent using popsicle sticks, toilet paper tubes and hot glue. Just Google diy hamster toys and you will get a lot of ideas. As far as the silent wheel, I would go ahead and use what you have and if it does getting squeaky, use wd40 on the joint (make sure you wipe away any oil that gets on the wheel) or a drop of vegetable oil. My silent wheel has never squeaked...so far. All we hear is the sounds of speedy's running.
Also take your time in taming your hamster! Seriously! Don't rush or you will have to start from square one. I think I may have rushed speedy cause he started to bite my finger. He nibbled at first but now...so I have to start all over again.
Mommomkris is offline   Reply With Quote