View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 PM  
newtohammys
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Maybe mites? Idk help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I don't personally suspect mites, hamsters do scratch and groom quite a bit. Her fur also looks to be in very good condition, not something I'd expect from a ham suffering with mites. Her being so jumpy is likely due to her not being completely tamed yet. If the nervousness started two weeks after she was brought home, you can rest assured that it's not unusual. Many hams won't express their nervousness for the first few weeks as they're still in a bit of shock from being brought home. The heat could also be agitating her as well. I wouldn't recommend a frozen water bottle as their tiny paws can get stuck or even get frostbite if they are pressed against it too much. Instead, try offering ceramic mugs and tiles or a terra cotta pot. You could also refrigerate a sand bath and offer that to keep her cool Chilled fruit is fine, but not too often as fruits are sugary. I wouldn't stress out so much, it sounds like you're a very good and attentive owner. Just try moving her to a cooler room, and use as many techniques as you can to keep her from getting too hot. Good luck
Yeah she kinda accepts me petting her but we did have some mishaps she climbed onto my hand and I went to lift her a little bit off the ground after a while and she kinda jumped on to the floor which led to ages of me trying to coerce her back onto my hand and she seemed alarmed by the whole thing the same thing happened a second time eventually both times I had to grab her ball and put her in that. I guess I worried because she was scratching more than usual but yeah her fur seems intact to me so guess I'm a bit over cautious. I'll buy a fan for my room to see if that cools it down as this house is small and there's not much space for her anywhere else and I don't like her being out of my room since I live with smokers which effects my chest and would probably not be good for hamsters I guess. Would she not end up chewing/cutting herself on the mug/tile I mean she has a ceramic house she doesn't chew but she used to be a bar biter for two weeks before the new cage arrived (which I think did stress her out too but she seemed happy and energetic the first few days in her new cage til the heat suddenly picked up xP I'll try a few of the cooling down methods and try to tame her then if she's still super itchy and nervous I'll take her to a vet
newtohammys is offline   Reply With Quote