Thread: Ham proofing
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Ham proofing

Please do not go, I do apologize if you've ever gotten that impression from me, we all are trying our best to help out. As you asked the question, we are just trying to answer it with the knowledge and experience we have. You don't have to listen to us, but we will still offer you advice. This really is a wonderful community if you give it the chance!

To answer your question, bathrooms aren't recommended because hams get lost under cabinets and in pipe holes. I lost a gerbil in the bathroom because she squeezed into a tiny crack under the cabinet that I hadn't seen. I spent hours proofing the bathroom, but there's just too many holes that lead into the walls which can't be seen. Ever since this incident, I no longer recommend bathrooms as I'd never want anyone to experience the heartbreak I did after losing my sweet little gerb in the wall. I too thought that it was a little over dramatic to not use a bathroom for playtime, and didn't listen to the warnings I got, and then this happened to me. This is just a bit of anecdotal evidence of why we sometimes stress things that may seem ridiculous, it's because we've made these mistakes and don't want others to do the same as us! So once again, none of us mean any harm by what we say X

As mentioned above, a bedroom that has been ham proofed or a playpen would work better. You could even just simply use a bathtub! Hamsters aren't picky, and all you really need is a safe and enclosed space filled with toys and hides Best wishes