View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM  
neuraljam
Newborn Pup

Question Appeared dead for a few seconds??

Hi,

First time posting here!

So I just found my Russian dwarf, Angus, under the ramp in his cage, face against the floor, as if he'd collapsed mid-step, no sign of any movement. This panicked me a little, I slightly sharply called his name a couple of times and he suddenly started breathing again, got up and started sniffing around again, but he looked like he'd just woken up (eyes half closed). I got him out and had a bit of play time with him and he was totally awake and alert again. Can anyone explain this? Can, for example, hamster have epilepsy with the equivalent of absence seizures?
Other info:

I've had him for a year, best guess he was 3-4 months when I got him.

It's been unusually hot here in the UK for the past two days (27C, more like 21C downstairs, I had his cage in my bedroom for a couple of hours where it's warmer than that).

As it's hot I rinsed a couple of frozen peas in cold water and gave them to him. I've done this before with no ill effects, he seems to love them, but could the cold have put him into shock?

He's had a small swelling over his left eye for about 5 days, probably from a scratch or similar. It's been getting better over the past 3-4 days. Probably totally unrelated.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

-Jam
neuraljam is offline   Reply With Quote