View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 04:50 PM  
kayred2000
Newborn Pup

Default My hamster doesn't run on his wheel anymore? Just sleeps.

Hi! So I have a male, long haired Syrian hamster named Nubbins. I believe that I've had him since the beginning of 2015 and he's always been really active on his wheel. But at some point in time this year, he stopped running on his wheel? I know this for sure because I don't hear him run on it anymore, and I've done a few all nighters recently and he hasn't even gotten on it!

Now, he was not a baby when I got him, so I guess that he could be considered old but I'm still worried because he won't run on it anymore. He didn't even try to do it last night!

Another notable thing is that he could have ringworm? A few months ago a vet teacher at my school said that he might have it, but if he has then he's never infected me with it. Also I think the teacher might've thought that because he's losing hair on his back, and I accidentally told the teacher that he was 1 instead of how old he actually was. (Long story). Anyways, I never followed up on this because my mother won't take him to the vet, and because a lot of his suspicious symptoms (hair loss, crusty eye when he wakes up), are seen in older hamsters. Plus, it's been at least 4 months and he's still alive. But with how unactive he's been, I'm starting to worry that might be the case.

EDIT: I just noticed while brushing him that he has a lot of dandruff too. So if that is a sign of some disease that's making him tired, please let me know!

Anyways, if you have any advice, reasoning, or something else that explains this, please let me know.

Last edited by kayred2000; 06-16-2017 at 06:10 PM.
kayred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote