Thread: RIP Mushu
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default RIP Mushu

I am in shock. I am crying as I write this. Mushu is dead. He's gone. Gone. And I don't know how or why, but it's my fault.

He was fine this morning. He ate porridge, a pumpkin seed, took his breakfast, even worked out how to gnaw dried sweet corn off his corn on the cob for the first (and last) time.

This evening, I was babysitting next door and had left my mum with directions to take Mushu out for floor time. She's done it before and everything has been fine.

Anyway, I got a call. It was my Mum. She says Mushu was fine when she took him out. He ate banana, groomed himself, had an explore. She turned to get his seed bar and when she turned back there was blood coming out of his nose and mouth. And, a second later, he was gone.

I don't understand it. I just don't. My mum blames herself. She says she must have picked him up wrong or accidentally kicked him or something - although she is certain she would have noticed doing either of those things and she didn't. But, I know this was my fault. I shouldn't have gone out. I should have been there. He must have been so afraid and in a lot of pain, even if it was only for a second.

His new cage came today. I was going to set it up so nicely for him and now he will never use it.

I couldn't believe what my Mum was saying until she showed me the body. There was so much blood. So so much blood. And he wasn't there anymore. He's really gone. And I killed him. I did this. Why did I leave? Why? I thought I was earning money towards more treats for him. Ha! In reality I was setting his death in motion.

If anyone can tell me what might have happened, it may help. His death wasn't anything like our other hamsters, who took hours to go and were clearly ill. This was so sudden and violent.

I don't know what I am going to do. I can't face the thought of another hamster now, or maybe even ever. I don't even want to go to sleep even though it hurts so much because that moment of escape won't be worth waking up, remembering that he's dead and having to get used to the pain and shock all over.

Last edited by AprilPearl; 06-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
AprilPearl is offline   Reply With Quote