View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM  
Drago
The Hamtologist

Default Re: Homemade Hamster Mix

Personally, I like this mix. Now I do think there are definitely several areas that could use improvement (though this could be said for every mix out there) but all in all, I wouldn't have such an issue feeding this to my hams. This mix is quite similar to the one I've been feeding to mine (granted mine are not diabetes prone species). My diet is a mix of Higgins, mazuri, and oxbow garden select. The protein on this mix is just fine, perhaps a bit high for an older hamster (though some would disagree with me on this point). The fat is also fine. It's the fiber that I like the best! Very few mixes have suitable fiber (ideally 12-20%) so I do like this aspect. I also like that more ingredients in this mix are specified and weighed out accordingly than with many other kinds. It's not a terrible mix, not the best if I'm honest, but I'd have no moral issue with it.

For the negatives, it's lacking in variety. A good mix has a lot of different seeds and items, but obviously the GA of this kind of mix is much more difficult to calculate. Another negative is that it's mainly grass pellets. Now I know this is the aspect that's making your fiber so incredibly good, but grass pellets are boring and often disliked by hamsters. Although, if you say your hams like them, then I suppose there's no harm. Overall definitely could use some improvement variety and ingredient quality-wise, but it's not terrible at all.

I think the thing about this is, that it's really quite similar to the mixes that are sold in pet stores. I think it's a much more honest mix and I wouldn't have an issue using it. Just my thoughts