View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 03:24 PM  
Jennie F
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Best way to pick up a Syrian?

When I started taming Khali, I would hold the ball to the front of the open cage door and let her climb in and use it to carry her over to the sofa. Then i would face the opening towards me with one hand and put the other hand slightly below the opening so she could come out onto my hand. If she didnt want to come out she wouldnt leave the ball. I would carry her back in the ball then put one hand in the cage in front of the ball so she had to climb onto my hand to get out then lower her back into the cage. Now when i take her out, she will usually climb on top of her hay ball and i put my hand out next to that and she climbs on then up my arm. When she is out and about I always scoop her up. When I carry her back to her cage, she is on the palm of my hand with my fingers curved, kind of cupping her. But she rarely stays still so she is usually going between hands on the trip back. I found this gave her confidence, as everything was her choice and she is happy to be handled by anyone as long as they do it the same way.

Good luck with the taming process and bonding with your little ham