View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM  
Lauukin
Newborn Pup

Default **-Rest In Peace Melonberry-**

Melonberry passed April 22nd at the good age of 2.5yrs but I was clearing out some photos on my phone and came across a lot of old ones of her. I was tearing up, and I thought I wanted to share. I posted about it on Facebook but sometimes people who aren't hamster obsessed can find it odd when you have so many tender and hard emotions over these little creatures so I figures I'd share my emotions/story with those who can empathize.

I have only had 3 hamsters but Melonberry was my heart hamster, without a doubt. She wasn't totally keen on being handled, she tolerated it, but she was the sweetest thing. I had her when dealing with the death and medical deterioration of a family member and when I would be broken and crying, i'd look to her cute face and watch her play and she offered some distraction and happiness in that dark time.

A few of these photos were taken the day she passed and it is hard not to cry looking at her, so thin and fragile compared to how fat and round she was as a baby. She had gotten older and slower the month she passed. She still chewed up her toys and her toilet roll tube treat balls I made. She was a frisky little thing but aging is always inevitable.

The day she died, I had come home from a night of being with my friends. I walked to her cage just after coming in the door, usually she was awake at this time but I didnt see her. I dont usually disturb a sleeping hamster but I'd been aware she was old so I was worried she was passed away. I lifted her home and she was laying there, legs lightly struggling to movd and nose twitching. I picked her up and she felt very still. I bawled my eyes out, I posted on HC for help, then I sat in my quiet closet. I put on a 'sleeping music' video and pet her softly until she finally passed. I am grateful, she passed just about 10 minutes after me coming home. If I had done anything different that night, used the bathroom, went to a store...anything. I would have missed it and she would have been alone. I am forever grateful fate let me comfort her into her parting to the rainbow bridge 💜🐹💜
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170412_003313.jpg (3.15 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20170421_104359.jpg (2.69 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170325_183530.jpg (3.29 MB, 13 views)
Lauukin is offline   Reply With Quote