Thread: Best food mix?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 02:57 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Best food mix?

I would also recommend using a commercial mix. Harry Hamster has all the required vitamins and nutrients in and is sugar free. It has sunflower seeds and monkey nuts in as well so some tasty bits in it. It would be much safer than feeding your own mix. Some people do feed their own mix but it takes a lot of working out to get the protein and nutrients correct - and the protein bit is difficult. Syrian hamsters need at least 18% protein in their mix. 18 to 22% ideally in their first year. Without enough protein they can develop all kinds of conditions.

So I would not feed your mix. Give the yippees and sunflower seeds as occasional treats and buy something like Harry Hamster as the regular mix. You can also supplement with fresh veg every day (just a small piece, sort of 1cm cube size-ish of either broccoli, carrot, cucumber, cauliflower or green beans are my usuals). And protein treats can supplement the protein - eg pecan nut, brazil nut, a small piece of cheese or plain cooked chicken (again very small).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/87d/SUPRE...=Harry+Hamster

Zooplus also sell a mix that is quite good

Bunny HamsterDream Basic | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

I would go with Harry Hamster though. Most Syrians like it - the pieces are the right size for them. It was the only mix our last Hamster would eat all of.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote