View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 AM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: How do I tell my friend about her hamster healthcare?

I think the important thing here is tact. It is like parenting. One of your friends might be making lots of mistakes with their children, but telling them that bluntly is only going to make them defensive and they won't follow your advice just to prove a point. Also like parenting, if your friend won't accept your advice then unfortunately there is nothing further you can do unless they are actually being cruel to the hamster (I realise that it is unpleasant for a hamster to be kept in this way, but it does not sound like a situation in which the RSPCA would intervene!).

You say your friend really loves her hamster. Presumably then, she wants him/her to be happy and so your job is half done. But, you still need to be tactful. Instead of saying, for example, "it's really bad your hamster doesn't have a wheel", you could say "my hamster really loves his/her wheel! Have you thought about getting one for your hammy? I'm sure he/she would love it just as much and it's fun to watch them run."

Maybe you could even ask her to come with you to a pet shop, under the pretence of buying something for your hamster. While there, you could point out things her hamster is lacking and say that he/she "might enjoy" them.

If you have any extra hamster supplies that you aren't currently using, maybe you could offer them to her as a gift?

What I would say, is that the first thing to tackle is the no wheel situation, unless the hamster is lacking other more essential things which you have not mentioned. Many members here use water bowls instead of bottles for their hamsters with no ill effect. So long as she is keeping it clear of substrate, replacing the water etc, it should be fine. I personally prefer to use a bottle because I worry about contamination from shavings/poo and the possibility of it spilling. But, water bowls still make a fine alternative if managed correctly.

I'd imagine the poor hamster doesn't have a large enough cage, either. That is also something which needs to be rectified quickly. Maybe if her current cage will not fit a wheel, you could use that as an opener for recommending a larger cage. The Alaska on Zooplus is a really great one, which I gave myself. Again, though, you don't want to make her feel bullied/judged.
AprilPearl is offline   Reply With Quote