Thread: All About Anya!
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: All About Anya!

Hmm never had a hamster make noises like that so I cannot advise really, but if she is otherwise appearing well then I am sure there is nothing to worry about. She may not even be stressed, it could just be a noise she likes making! Even if she is a little more nervous right now, as you say, that is to be expected. She is only little and experiencing so much change. But, you are both doing so well! It’s early days yet.

As for the water bottle, it could be she has never had one before I guess, though I would be surprised as most people use water bottles in their hamster cages. My first hamster did not drink for days after I brought him home, despite the fact he was used to water bottles, and it really worried me. But, he eventually started. It could also be that she is drinking from it, but only when you are not there and you have not noticed the water level go down because baby hamsters do not drink very much.

A water bottle is has a number of advantages, but that does not mean you have to use one, or that bows are bad. A bowl can tip over and soak the shavings causing dampness and also making the water supply disappear and possibly giving your hamster a chill if she gets wet. Bowls can also be filled with shavings or bedding, especially when your hamster is digging, again soaking up the water supply and leaving her without one. However, a water bowl is obviously a better solution than Anya not drinking at all! And lots of people use them without problems.

I would suggest leaving the water bowl in for now. But, make sure it is the correct height for her and that water can come out by running your finger over the spout. And, try to persuade her to use it. You can smear something on the end of the spout, such as mashed banana or baby food and tempt her over to the water bottle by holding a treat next to the spout. If she has indeed never used a water bottle before, this might be a good way of teaching her how to use it.

Last edited by AprilPearl; 05-20-2017 at 11:10 PM.
AprilPearl is offline   Reply With Quote